I saw Sam from Thoughts on Tomes do this tag, and it looked so fun that I wanted to try it. It was created by India at Life is a Page Turner . You can view both of their videos by clicking on their channel names. 🙂
1. Cupcakes – name a collection of short stories, poems, or anthologies where you couldn’t read just one section and had to go back for another
»» I don’t read a lot of short story collections or anthologies (I do want to do better with this.) But, I did really love NK Jemisin’s How Long ’til Black Future Month? Jemisin is a fantastic writer, and this collection really shows her range. I cannot wait to read more from her.
2. Lemon Pound Cake – Name a book that has 400 pages or more that you considered a comfort read and a classic
»» I mean, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, obviously. Though the page numbers vary wildly depending on the edition, most are over 400 pages so I’m going with it. The Night Circus is my favorite book of all time. It is the perfect comfort re-read for me – it’s like returning home.
3. Red Velvet cake – Name a book that you bought was one thing, but ended up being something completely different
»» Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir – I was expecting lesbian necromancers in space and a magical tournament, but what I got was a closed circle mystery that could have been set basically anywhere. It wasn’t a terrible book, it just wasn’t what I was expecting.
4. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – Name a book or a book series that you can read over and over again even though you know that it’s bad for you
»» Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. This is bit of a twist on this question, because this series is phenomenal; it’s bad for me only because the ending is emotionally crushing. And, I spent about 30 minutes ugly crying.
But, I can’t wait to read it again.
5. Apple Pie a la Mode – Name a book that was really good but could have been better with a little bit of ice cream
»» The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie – I really liked this first book, and if there had been some well developed female characters (instead of one-dimensional archetypes) it would have easily been 5 stars.
6. Gingerbread Cookies – Do you like your gingerbread cookies crunchy or soft.
A. If you like your cookies soft name a book that was squishy in the middle, but the beginning and the end were really good.
B. If you like your cookies crunchy or more like ginger snaps name a book that you finished, but that you wanted to throw at a wall, or snap
»» So I didn’t actually finish Nevernight by Jay Kristoff, but I made it 70% of the way through. And trust me, that felt like enough so I’m counting it. I HATED this book. I have 1 book on my DNF shelf on Goodreads – and it’s this one.
7. Brownies – Are you a corner piece or a middle piece?
A. If you’re a corner piece, name a book that starts off strong and then all comes apart.
B. If you’re a middle piece, name a book that kept you in the feels the entire time.
»» Corner piece without a doubt. Nom nom nom.
So I’m just gonna go ahead and admit I’m trash for a Beauty and the Beast retelling. So when I heard about A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer, I knew I was going to have to read it. It started off strong, but the ending was really lackluster. And I haven’t heard good things about the second book so I may not even continue with the series.
8. Birthday Cake – Name a book series or an author that you feel like keeps coming out with a book, short story, novella every year
»» Brandon Sanderson is consistently coming out with new stuff every year, but I ain’t mad about it. He’s one of my favorite authors so if he writes it, I’m probably gonna read it.
9. Carrot Cake – Name a book that sounded healthy for you, but ended up being unhealthy either with content, or put you in a reading slump.
»» I don’t really have an answer for this – I don’t remember the last book that put me in a reading slump. And if a book has a bunch of icky/unhealthy content I just DNF it and move on.
Have you done this tag? If you have or if you do after seeing this post link it down below so I can check it out. 🙂
Happy Reading ♥