These are some of my absolute favorite tag videos to watch and posts to read. Maybe I’m weird, but I like hearing about the books people didn’t like just as much as the ones they did. I wasn’t actually tagged to do this, but I wanted to. And, I make the rules here. Haha.
You can view the original video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfgq8HgDc0&t=367s
1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like:
Miss Peregrine’s Home for the Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I read the first book in this series, and it was pretty good. But, I DNF’d the 2nd book about halfway through it because I just got bored with it. I honestly doubt I’ll ever pick it up again.
2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love:
Uprooted by Naomi Novik. This book typically has pretty polarizing opinions. People tend to either love it or hate it. I happen to love it. *shrug emoji*
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you don’t like:
Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas: Team Chaol. ‘Nuff said.
Side note: I’ve still not read Empire of Storms simply because I can’t stand Rowan.
4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for
Historical Fiction: I’m not sure why I don’t read much of this since I actually love History. And, I teach it. But, I think they tend to be slower paced, and I have trouble getting invested in the story.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like:
Lucia from Falling Kingdoms. I’ve really, really tried to like her. But, I seriously dread reading her chapters.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into:
George R. R. Martin: I’ve tried to read the Game of Thrones series multiple times, but I just can’t do it. But, I completely love the TV show.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.):
The “not like other girls” female protagonist who is obviously stereotypically beautiful but “just doesn’t see it.” Ugh. Just stop with the girl on girl hate YA. There is no “right” way to be a girl.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading:
Oh, soooo many: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth, and The Selection Series by Kiera Cass just to name a few.
9. The saying goes: “The book is always better than the movie,” but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
I have two that stick out to me the most: Star Dust by Neil Gaiman and Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. I enjoyed both of these books, but I absolutely loved the movies.
So what are some of your unpopular bookish opinions? Have you done this tag? Link it below so I can check it out!